Monday, May 4, 2009

It's Been Said

That I'm terrible at blogging. I know. It's true and I apologize for my lack of sharing truly worthwhile posts. I will give you an update on my little family starting with #1, Mr. I: He just lost his 3rd tooth on Saturday night. It was turned sideways in his mouth and said it hurt but he wouldn't let us pull it out. I had some anbesol for older kids (*B* brought home the wrong stuff) so we numbed it and then pulled it out. He was so proud and wanted me to take a photo. I could only get him to give me that cheesy big smile that all kids do when they're getting their photo taken so I had him yell, "I lost my tooth!" hoping to get a genuine smile after the yell. He got a real kick out of that and I had fun hollering back, "you what?" and "I can't hear you!" trying to get him to giggle. The photo above is him, mid yell. Later, while supposedly going to sleep, he was asking all kinds of questions about the tooth fairy... him: "Is the tooth fairy tiny?" me: "well... she can't be too tiny or she wouldn't be able to carry teeth." him: "Is she humongous?" me: "well... she can't be too humongous or she wouldn't fit into houses." him: "So she must be just medium like us." him: "Mom, are you the tooth fairy?" I just keep rocking the girl and smile. This kid is trouble. School is almost out and it's a good thing too. I am not functioning well enough to handle him and school. He's so stinking smart and way too much like me (stubborn, flighty, irrational, and infuriatingly logical when it suits his purposes). This morning after I told him 5+ times to get his shoes and socks on + it was now 9:00 and he had 5 min. before the late bell rang + his shoes were MIA + I wanted to beat the snots out of him = I tell him to wear his church shoes + he puts on the red wellingtons from the superman costume 2 halloweens ago and rides his little brother's bike to school. This kid grows like a weed and there is no possible way those boots still fit him. Of all the stinking stubborn last minute... argh! He's been late pretty much ever day for the last few months... sometimes 20 mins late! He has a sub right now because his teacher had a baby. She probably thinks I'm the worst mom in the world. I'm not the worst... just the most flakey. At school they have spelling tests every Friday and last Monday he brought home two tests. The test + a make-up test. 30% and 50%. Excuse me? Absolutely unacceptable from him. If he was a child who struggled and actually got those scores by trying I would be happy about it. He isn't that child. We had a chat about how that wasn't acceptable and this week, after having done nothing different and with (in my humble opinion) harder words he brings home 100% and 100% on a math test that didn't have anything to do with any of his homework and he didn't do the drawings that would help him figure out the answers. He just wrote down the answer. How did he know that 3 would go into 12 four times? So, smart or not, I'm wondering if he cheated. He's never brought home anything that indicated they were starting division in any way shape or form. Yet he know the answers. And this all sounds so negative, but really, I am proud of him. He loves to read and he really is smart and insightful. I read The Peacegiver a couple of years ago and it talks about identifying types of Christ in the scriptures. During scripture study the other night he made a comparison I had never thought of before and basically identified Ammon, the missionary, as a type of Christ. I was thinking, "of course! why didn't I notice that before?" So, one minute I think he is amazing and the next I want to beat him for doing sommersaults over the arm of the couch. Good grief. He is currently fixated on buying a fish + saving up to buy his own scriptures. Enjoy the Journey! ps. I didn't intend for this to be such a long post and I meant to update about all the kids, but I guess *I* has my number today. I'll get you caught up on everyone throughout the week. Promise! I just put up the girl's fence for the porch so she can play in the sun for a little while and *I's* shoes are on the steps. Figures.

3 comments:

  1. Oh the joys! Thanks for the update on your family! Well... on *I* anyway! I'll be waiting for the others. :0) Good work on talking hijm into trying on his tests. I understand the 'drive you crazy because you know they can do better than they are.' But I think you are doing great! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about *I*. What a funny little guy! I laughed about his shoes being on the poarch and I love the picture of his missing tooth! We need to get together this summer and let our boys play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I hate that I'm missing out on your kids growing up. I appreciate you letting us know their funny little personality qwerks! He's stinkin cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete