Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Stories

I spent a bit of time today remembering. Remembering all of the dreams I had when I was small. What I wanted to do. What I wanted to be. Sometimes I chuckled. Sometimes I wondered. Sometimes I was confounded at the completely different person I've grown up to be. Case in point: I wanted to be Miss America when I grew up. Really. Today I cry at the thought of getting up in front of people. Literally. Last year I left what I thought would be a simple choir practice in a panic of tears when the lady in charge told me I would be, "strolling to stage left and then back again while discussing such and such with sister so and so." I had not come prepared to play such a role. I completely fell apart and ended up not participating at all. Not my finest hour. My childhood all blurs together, but I can recall dreaming of being the Karate Kid. An olympic gymnast. An actress. A rock star. The first female NBA player [see, back then there was no WNBA so the dream was really far fetched]. An artist. An explorer. A writer. A poet. I remember making a few modifications to a tumbling leotard so that I would have the most unique + fashion forward swim suit at class swim day. I wanted to travel the world. I still do.

3 comments:

  1. Oh - me too! My big one was the Olympics. Ice skating or gymnastics or maybe both! I remember when Summer and Winter Olympics were in the same year and I couldn't get enough. Recording artist was another - I loved the record button on my walkman. My husband always says he wants to be a grandpa when he "grows" up. I think that's a great dream. ;)

    You are definitely a writer and artist.

    And I think traveling the world would be divine. Sooo many places to see on my list. I think I'd start with a small town in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to have a dream before it can come true but it's important to remember the real dream & I believe you have accomplished that. An excellent mother and wife, an incredible daughter with a strong testimony. Someone that would do anything for anyone - you truly are an amazing person and I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom. So needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete