Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Had a Request

to repost the Blender Whole Wheat Pancake recipe I shared a few years ago. I've learned a few things since then too... my friend told me that the buttermilk is interchangable with milk and while I agree to an extent [it will make pancakes and they do taste pretty good] I now feel very strongly that you should use buttermilk. It activates the baking soda and makes the batter thicker and fluffier and the pancakes are so much better. I can't say enough how much I love these pancakes. Really.
  • 1 1/2 c. whole wheat berries
  • 2 1/4 c. buttermilk [or 2 c. milk if you must]
  • blend on high 2-3 minutes [while it's blending mix dry ingredients together in separate bowl and prepare the rest of your wet ingredients so you can add them all quickly]
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/8 c. canola oil
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/8 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar

So that's it. The recipe as it was given to me. But you know me. I can't keep a recipe in it's original form. I also add 1/4 tsp. vanilla. Go figure. If you preheat your skillet/griddle before you start the batter it will be perfect when you're ready to start cooking. I add the dry ingredients last and pulse if necessary to get it all mixed in well. I do this because I am not kidding, the buttermilk activates the baking soda. It will bubble and expand. You're going to want to keep those bubble intact as much as possible. I also let it sit for a couple of minutes before starting to cook them so as to maximize the effect.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mandi! I appreciate that. I can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete