Friday, June 4, 2010

Everyday Food

magazine [May edition] has been this weeks go-to. We've had fish tacos with cabbage + lime and chicken tostada salad so far. Tonight I've got plans for calzones and we'll do white bean and tuna salad on Sunday [Dad is in charge of Saturday dinner, so I don't plan that one if I can help it]. It must be the time of year, but everything looked so good and light. I've had the subscription for a year now and I think this is the first time I've actually made more than one thing out of any given issue. The fish tacos were a big hit. Really big. And for those of you who may not be big fish eaters. Tilapia is a very mild fish. Not fishy at all. The only thing I did differently wrong was using mayonaise instead of sour cream in the sauce. I don't know how I did that. And honestly, I just now realized that I did it at all as I was looking at the recipe. So... try it right or substitute mayonaise for the sour cream. I can't vouch for the sour cream, but with mayo it's yummy. And now that I've made it, I would make extra sauce. We all really wanted more of the sauce. The chicken tostada salad was yummy too. I am not kidding when I say that my kids must be Mexican. I love Mexican food any day, but I crave it when I'm pregnant. They don't have a link up on the website so I guess I can't share the recipe or a photo here today. Just imagine a toasted corn tortilla topped with melted monterey jack cheese, chicken [I used canned] seasoned with onion, garlic, and taco seasoning [I chose to use taco seasoning instead of chili powder] and after cooking sprinkled with lime juice, chopped romaine again sprinkled with lime juice, chopped tomato, diced avocado, and fresh cilantro leaves. All sprinkled with salt. If you want the actual recipe give me a call or pick up the May issue of Everyday Food. You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment