Tuesday, June 22, 2010

2.for.Tuesday

It is celebration month around here. The girl turned two and *I* will be eight. Plus Father's Day. Plus a visit from my sister. Plus the seemingly endless countdown [only 4.5 weeks] until little #4 arrives. We've been a little busy. Today I'm going to finally share two projects that were first mentioned in a post from October 2009 I called round three. I had bought fabric for project #1 and ended up starting two others with the scraps. I think they're pretty fun.
one: Happy Banner. This little project keeps popping up in the 2.for.tuesday archives. It was first mentioned in February 2009 as something I wanted to do. It made it's second appearance in October 2009, when I finally got around to starting it. And now, here we go again. It's finally completely finished. And it's currently hung. And I'm intending to use it. A lot. You just might see it hung outside with some blue or pink tissue balls when the little finally comes. Yes, you just might.
two: I Love You Jar. This one has been finished for quite some time. I'm sure I've mentioned it more than once. I keep promising a post about it. Today you're in luck. This all started when I decided that my kids needed to do more service around the house. Not just for me, but for each other. I wanted them to notice things that needed to be done and do it. So I stacked my fabric scraps right side together and started cutting/sewing hearts. I stuffed them and sewed up the opening, though not in any professional way. This was about doing it. Not having it be perfect. When they were done I put them in a tin pail and we had a FHE about service.
Do a service leave a heart. That's really it in a nutshell. For example: *I* would often leave his bed unmade. *A* got home from school earlier than *I* so he would notice the unmade bed and make it. Then he'd leave a heart hidden under *I*s pillow. He loved doing it. *I*s favorite service was putting *A*s dinner dishes in the sink [as that's something he can't seem to remember to do]. He'd leave a heart where the plate was and then call to *A* that he forgot to take care of his plate/cup/etc. *A* would come to do it and find the heart. Seriously, they loved it. We finished getting all the hearts in the jar and got to do a fun family outing of their choice. Right now the jar is full and waiting for me to decide it's time to bring it out again.

2 comments:

  1. Both of these projects look like so much fun! It would be a great way to learn how to sew, too. Good luck with the last four weeks of your pregnancy. (I just started cooking our little surprise #4.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I love the heart idea. What a fun way to teach the kids to look for ways to serve. Hmm, I want to copy that. Love the banner too. It is happy looking. I would want to leave it up all of the time! Hope you are having a good week. I haven't done as much as I have wanted to- I need to get my data entry work out of the way so I can work on the GOOD stuff! I did make 7 towel type of bibs yesterday. That is about it for the accomplished project list.

    ReplyDelete