Tuesday, November 17, 2009

2.for.Tuesday

This is really a continuation of yesterday's post. As I went through the rest of the assignment yesterday, JS supplied a list of words as she asked us to think of phrases or sentences that described our holiday values. Lots of great words. Lots of important words. Togetherness. Warmth. Giving. And all of those things come into play. But really, why Christmas?

one: wonder. this is the hardest to define and yet the strongest in my mind and heart. I want my children to feel the wonder of the Savior at Christmas. The miracle of his birth. That he is the Son of God. I want them to love the baby Jesus and what he represents more than anything else at Christmas. I want them to give gifts because the wisemen gave gifts and because Jesus gave the ulitmate gift. I want them to receive gifts because without someone to receive there would be no gift. I want them to understand all of this. And more. Much much more. I am starting with the Nativity. We will set out the Nativity one piece at a time [one piece per day] and talk about the role that piece plays in the story of Christmas. Ending with the baby Jesus. I hope that as *B* and I bear testimony that they will begin to feel the true spirit of Christmas and wonder at the life of the Savior.

two: magic. is it the crispness in the air? the smell of wasail on the stove? the lights? the carols? I really believe that it is all of these things. It's leaving a gift on a door step and running as fast as your little legs will carry you after you ring the door bell and collapsing into a laughing heap knowing you didn't get caught. It's wondering how Santa gets to all of the houses of all the little children in all of the world in just one night. And do reindeer really fly? It's not quite believing Mom + Dad when they say that Santa won't come unless you're asleep and not being able to sleep because you do believe. Just a little. As always, thoughts and ideas welcomed! Enjoy the journey!

1 comment: