Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reframing the Season

This is supposed to be all about my point of view... if I could honestly frame something it would be to preserve the order amidst the chaos. Freeze frame that is. I had a plan I was going to take a photo of all my empty laundry baskets. I was going to take a photo of all of the clean clothes folded neatly + stacked to be put away. I was going to take a photo of the empty sink. I thought about setting up a frame around each one. Then life happened. I took a photo of The Girl helping me empty the dishwasher. She's putting away the silverware. And I realized that it's not about framing the perfection. It's about changing my frame of mind. The budding artists. The bursting energy of youth. Curiosity at it's finest. We won't talk about the photos I could have taken to illustrate this. I'm trying to change my frame of mind. Breathe. Now. See those little fingers popping through the grid? That's what I'm talking about.
I remember Christmas.
Christmas was magical. Christmas was alive with anticipation and wonder. Christmas putting an ornament on Grandma's advent tree. Christmas was Secret Santa. Christmas was knocking and running as fast as my legs could carry me praying I wouldn't break a leg. Christmas was wassail. Christmas was sneaking peeks. Christmas was early mornings and bleary eyed twinkle lights. Christmas was drives in the car with my face pressed against the cold glass. Christmas was mix tapes full of deep voices singing noel. Christmas was tinsel. Christmas was jingle bells on Grandma's door.
Where are you Christmas? I want my kids to know you too.

1 comment:

  1. Why, oh why, do your posts always make me cry? When I die - I want you to write my eulogy - because I swear we share the same brain - yours is just so much more eloquent :0)

    ReplyDelete