Friday, December 3, 2010

All You Need is Love

"Today, focus on love. Feel it. Be it. Capture it. Share it." -- Tracy Clark Today I love the feel of yarn slipping past my fingers. The sound of the needles click, click, clicking. Watching the loops become stitches and the stitches become rows. The rows become... What? Who knows. Sometimes I just unravel it so I can start all over again. Crazy. I know. Today I bought a skein of red wool yarn. Yarn so I can knit. Wool so I can felt. Red so I can cut it into hearts. It's a lot of work I know. None of that flimsy poly-blend felt for me in that too bright too primary red. I want these to be real. These hearts will be substantial. They will be thick and sturdy. They will not mince words. They will mean exactly what they say. Today I didn't take a single photo. Today my list includes Pajamas. Hearts. Dollhouses. Fingerless gloves. Dolls. I make things. It overwhelms me a bit. I wonder why I do this to myself. It's so much easier to run out to the store and just pick up something I can check off their wish list. And most years I will end up doing just that in a mad dash on Christmas eve morning. But still I make things. Every stitch, every cut, every late late night. I put my heart into it. Then I wrap up my love and I give it away. Today I thought about myself as a giver of gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment