Thursday, April 2, 2009

2.for.Tuesday

Yes, I know it's Thursday. It's been one crazy week...
The youth in our ward have been doing Missionary Month. They had missionary related activities, i.e. learn the first discussion and culminated the month by tracting and teaching the discussion + dinner appointment with a pre-assigned family. Dinner was Tuesday and I made Papas a la Huancaina. The traditional Bolivian meal (or so I was told).We had our favorite babysitter + two other girls from the ward. The girls kept saying, "this is so good!" But they (except for the favorite babysitter - she would make a good missionary, she ate everything on her plate) only ate a couple of bites and pushed the rest around on their plates. I don't blame them. It wasn't so good, but I know I made it fairly correctly. Funny though... in my mind this was such a good meal. I was always so grateful when someone would serve this vs. something else. After the girls were gone I told *B* it's okay for that to be my favorite food in Bolivia, but it doesn't have to be my favorite food here.
It was fun. I've always wanted to make this for my boys and having the sisters over gave me a good reason. They thought it was cool to eat food from Bolivia. I want to make saltenas (baked empanadas) next. I would have made them for the sisters, but they're not really a dinner food.
Anyways... I because of this whole shindig I couldn't decide if I wanted to do a memories theme or a Bolivia theme post. You get both. The link to the recipe is a bonus! These are the two things I've been saving to share...
one: The most absolutely cutest sweater I've ever seen. Really. I want to make it. I learned to knit in Bolivia. Crocheting I learned from my grandma M. She taught me multiple times. What patience. Knitting I took up in Bolivia. Lunch is long there. It drove me bonkers. I had to do something while I waited for my companions to move a long.
two: Decorated berry baskets for Easter. I used to make these with my grandma H. I miss her. I wish they still packaged berries in baskets like this so I could make them with my boys. Anyone happen to have some laying around? I searched on-line for some, but I'd have to buy a whole lot and they aren't quite the same. I wish I could find this particular cute red one... I wonder where Martha got it?
How-to's at the links. Enjoy the Journey!

2 comments:

  1. I made those baskets too. I was planning a class Easter party for McCrays class, and was wishing they were still around too. I made one in Kindergarten, and thought it would be fun for them too. Isn't it fun to remember back to mission days. I think it is cool for the boys to get to eat Bolivian food. It makes your mission more real to them. Are Empanada's sweet? Check out our blog- it has news on there. Just in case you haven't heard.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute baskets. I miss her too....5 years ago today.

    ReplyDelete