Tuesday, July 7, 2009

2.for.Tuesday

It's just me and the girl right now. The boys are at Camp Grandma with all most of their cousins from *B's* side. I'm sure they're having a blast. While *B* is at work I've been working on being a finisher. I'm ignoring everything else and just concentrating on completion. Specifically in the sewing area. My table is covered in fabric and thread and a few dirty dishes...
one: a pattern marked fast & easy should be just that. fast & easy. This particular pattern was neither of those. They should not judge a pattern based on the professional sewer. They should mark patterns according to ability also. In no way, shape, or form should a pattern using fusible interfacing be marked easy. This little dress was a nightmare and it's way too basic looking to be worth the hassel. From now on I think I'll be sticking to patterns like this one (only I would have to modify it to fit the girl as a smock/dress) ...
two: this headband. It was super easy to make (though I did modify it a little) and it was quick too. That's always a bonus in my book. If it's too involved I run out of steam and it goes into the pile. I just used some of the scraps I had laying around so my fabrics aren't nearly as cute as hers, but it will do just fine. I especially think it would be great to keep the hair out of the eyes while cleaning or crafting or exercising. Since I do those things you know.
** if you make it. It is a really wide headband. I shaved at least a quarter inch off each side of the pattern and it's still nice and wide (as opposed to really wide). I also really tapered the ends where they attach to the elastic. I didn't like the bulkiness around my ears. If you're interested in this I could probably hook you up with a modified pattern and some (IMHO) easier/quicker instructions. I'm not really one for pressing an entire seam in so I can sew things together. I'm more of a turn it out kind of girl. More room for error.
** this just happens to be Mel's prize. It's not so pretty, but it's done and I'm going to see her soon.
Tonight I'm off to lay in a hammock on the mountain. I can't wait.

4 comments:

  1. Yea Mandi!

    Good for you for getting some things done. I feel like I am in a race... how much can I possibly get done in a few days. I don't want to waste my chance! :) So far today, I have done all of the captions for the kids photo books that have been waiting to be finished since Christmas of 2007. Better late than never, I guess. On to the next thing on the list. Hope your week on the mountain is wonderful and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I LOVE big headbands!!! Can't wait to see it! Thanks Mand!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to be sewing! I went through a little spurt just after Lacey was born. I did it just for fun and was surprised how well things turned out, now when I try to sew something it doesn't work AT ALL. Oh well! Keep up the good work. Your things look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I hope you enjoyed the mountains.

    ReplyDelete